Friday, March 29, 2013

Lemon Pound Cake-Starbucks Copycat

One lovely afternoon hanging out with my supervisor, I fell in love with Starbucks lemon loaf.  It was a pure lemony perfection.  It was then my mission to find the recipe and recreate it at home.  $2.50 a slice is simply too heavy on my pockets.  I need to be able to make this at home any time!

The first recipe I tried is not really worth mentioning.  It was dry and not very... lemony.

The recipe I used for my second try can be found HERE.  Thank you!! 180 degrees different.  It was moist, lemony, and 100% addictive.

 The third go round, I had a vision around 2:00 a.m. to incorporate lemon heads somehow.  I went to a few different stores, only to find that they were much more difficult to find in Chicago grocery stores than once thought.  Four stores later, Walgreen's had a bag.  I threw them in the blender with the icing for a crunchy, lemony, sugary topping-maybe TOO sugary.
The fourth, and hopefully final go round, I incorporated hard candy-lemon rounds from Target.  I put them in the blender with the icing ingredients to make a saucy yellow lemon icing.  This time it was smooth, instead of crunchy.
I also gave it a chance to soak into the top of the cake itself.  I heard that this is the best one so far...  All but one particular person who shall go unnamed, may be upset that there weren't actual lemon heads on top this time.  ...Maybe just go eat a bag of lemon heads instead?

A few variations.. to each their own.  Personally, I have come to enjoy this recipe much more than the original Starbucks version, as have a few of my coworkers.  The only downside is that now they are requesting it a LOT.  I don't mind though, because I enjoy doing something nice for the great people I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment