Sunday, March 24, 2013

One of my greatest memories of my childhood is of working in my grandmother's garden.  It was an urban oasis encompassing the entire backyard.  Peach tree, cherry tree, collard greens, tomatoes, banana peppers, onions, grape vines, roses, marigolds, and plethora of other goodies.  There was always so much work to be done, yet some of the most rewarding fruits were found there.

Knowing exactly where your food comes from may be one of the obvious benefits, particularly in our generation where organic thinking seems to be the trend on everyone's mind.  While this is important, the benefits of growing some of my own goodies goes a little further.  Remembering the life lessons learned in those long conversations with my grandmother are being passed on to my son now.

Patience. Love. Hard work. Value.  Purpose. Rewards.


It has been a long time since I've tried my hand at gardening, and now that I'm in an apartment on the third floor with no patio I have even more restrictions.  What I heard though, is that where there is a will there is a way.  So... Here goes... everything.  Genovese basil, garden sage, slow bolt cilantro, Italian flat leaf parsley, jalapenos, and chives.  I imagine there will be lots of trial and error... I welcome the challenges.  With challenges come wisdom.

The past couple days my seedlings have started to sprout.  It has been an adventure watching life show through some of the most basic components of life that we often take for granted, especially living in an urban area.  Soil, water, sunlight, water.  We used a mix of peat pots, re-purposed old vegetable cans, and re-purposed plastic vegetable containers for planting.

After relocating within the apartment four or five times, finally found the best home in the kitchen window.  This morning I rushed to check on their overnight progress.  My jalapenos have started sprouting.  I couldn't be more excited.



No comments:

Post a Comment